Monday, March 15, 2010

Why Tres Marie?

Why the weird name?

BECAUSE my father calls me 'Tra Marie' and always has. Oh, and "Pumpkin", but that sitename is  probably already taken. 

BECAUSE when I was 13 and everyone wanted to change their name - like a 'y' to an 'i', or dot their 'i' with a cutesy flower or heart, I dreamt about legally changing my name to something that sounded cool, French, different. I decided that I wanted to sign my name as Tres Marie with the little accent...Trés. And then, that phase passed and braided ribbon barrettes were in.

BECAUSE it represents multiple generations in my family. And, as an adoptee, family and connections are important to me. My Grandmother's name was Marie Therese and her mother was Theresa Marie. A friend suggested that I should name my daughter  'Tessa Marie' to carry on the tradition.  But, the name Tessa conjured up images in my head of the circus fat lady. No offense to any Tessas out there in blogland! But I didn't want to think of elephants and peanuts every time I called girlchild in from playing in the backyard.

BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE when faced with coming up with a blog name at bewitching hour (kids' bedtime) nothing else came to mind.

It is what it is. Roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment